Tuesday 3 April 2012

So close but yet so far!

Well after a long, long... long wait, Thursday is the day! After almost 3 months of torture I will know If I can officially call the condo mine! I have to remind myself not to get to excited, but at this point its a mute purpose. Especially after my Realtor relayed that no one has contacted her to outbid me! *squeal*
But the most torturous part is that I really can't get the ball moving on this blog. Ive had ideas to keep me going, but everything requires measurement and further inquirers of space.
So Ive decided to let you know what my plans are for the walk in closet! Oh did I forget to mention that? Yes my crafty friends there is a closet of which I can walk into.
OK its small! But how many people can say their first house had a walk in? Let alone their current one?
This was the main selling feature for me! Girls gotta have what a girls gotta have!
So the closet is like any other, double sided with storage pockets down one side and room to hang cloths down the other. It has sliding doors on both sides so I can access the bathroom from my bedroom. This is an awesome feature! However I'll have to make sure I'm presentable every time I go through for fear of the roommate catching me in my unmentionables!
Here's a very, very caveman like drawing of the closet just so you can get an idea.
Now most people would ask "Who in their right mind wants to put time and effort into a closet?" A Visionary I will reply! Yes closets are simple and unless their 20'X20' their nothing to gape at! But not only should you make every space in the house yours, theres
Closets            and then theres     CLOSETS!
So what can one do to make such a small area their own heavenly space such as picture numero duex you may ask? Well its simple. First I'm going to paint it a bright white! I chose a white because its a small space. To do any colour at all would create to much dark making it look smaller and cave like. And as much as I dream of Peeta Mellark holding me while we hide in one, a cave is no place for my wardrobe!
If you ha vent read my previous post, Bedroom it is, where to begin, click on the link and you'll find lots of useful information on how to pick paints! For those of you who have you'll know that I decided to go green and use latex paints. The paint I chose for the closet was BEHR Ultra Pure White. Its found at home depot and I'm thinking it'll be roughly $20-$30 for a can (yay small space means I'll only need one). Its a flat colour, but because its so "pure" I'll get the most light bouncing out of it.
Once Ive done that I'm going to steal the idea of wallpapering the back of bookshelves. But instead do the back wall and the back of the storage pockets. I thought this was a brilliant idea! Something that acts as an accent and not a feature! I'm thinking a light or white paper with light pink designs.
For the storage part I'll need to put boxes in the pockets to create a little bit of organisation so I don't end up with the Godzilla of closets. And lets face it, those of you who know me, know that if I don't start off with a strict organisation I'll end up with the lower of those closet pictures above. Finding the right boxes is key! To keep up with the shabby theme, plastic or plain just wont do! I'm going to use recollections photo & craft storage boxes. you can buy them at any craft store, but they can cost almost $10 a piece and when you buying close to 20 that's a bit much! This is why I love the dollar store! They have boxes that are great colour's and designs for so cheap. You just have to wait for the right ones to come along. I do recommend measuring before buying though. No one wants to go back to the dollar store to return product. As cheap as I am, I think my pride holds back on returning something that cost less then a coffee!
So with Ideas in place all that's left is to search for the exact product and then sit through the nerve racking anticipation of my closing.
Thank you so much to all of my readers who are patiently waiting to see my actual designs and crafts happen. I know its been to long but we are SO CLOSE! Fingers crossed!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Katlyn

    One more sleep! I think you need a mini chandelier in that girly closet don't you?

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes thats a great Idea ill text you as soon as i know!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous my closet is so small!! Happy for you girl! Need another post soon!! ps it's laura from TD.

    ReplyDelete